Memorial Day marks the start of a bunch of calorie-loaded gatherings. Clients of mine always moan and groan about it because, not only did they enjoy the cookouts, but there were several graduations and a wedding or two in the mix. This is the time when we get out our shorts and tank tops, swim suits and summer dresses! More bare skin, too much food-- a bad mix for those struggling to lose weight.I think I've mentioned this before: You don't want to be one of the people in photos who gets bigger and bigger every year. Here are some ideas to help you troubleshoot events, but also what to do afterward.
Before you go:
- Fill up first. Drink some water and eat fresh raw veggies and fruit.
- Get a good workout in. Rev up your metabolism before you go. It will stay up when you need it most.
- Plan a strategy. If you know what foods will be tempting for you, you can think through what you will eat and what you won't.
At the event:
- Only eat cake at one event, not a corner piece. Pick a small piece with as little frosting as possible. Otherwise, scrape off huge glops. Fats are 9 calories per gram. That glop you scrape off could easily be 50-100 calories!
- Skip the dips. Eat your fruits and veggies naked. No, not you! The fruits and veggies. Most of the dips are loaded with fats with 9 calories per gram.
- Pick one salad from the group to enjoy. Take only one serving size which is usually 1/2 cup. It wouldn't be bad if you took a measuring cup, but it would be weird.
- Walk around and talk to people. You will stuff less food in your mouth if it is moving. You will also notice when you are full a lot easier.
- Stay away from the food table. Get one plate of food, but don't go back. Go where you can't see the table.
- Go for a walk when you are done. Invite a couple of friends to go for a walk with you. If they don't go, go anyway. You will feel better if you do.
After the event, here are ways to keep the pounds off:
- Eat clean. Stick with raw or steamed veggies, broiled fish or chicken, and keep your carbs complex. If you are able, cut your carbs down to one serving per meal with a 1/2 serving and a protein for your midday snack. Don't ever skip meals or you undo all your hard work.
- Torch those calories off. Do a more intense workout your first day back to the gym. Stick to your workouts faithfully.
There are really no secrets to sailing through summer gatherings with food. It's more a matter of thinking it over and following through with your plan. You can still enjoy the events AND stay slim. What are some of your tips? Feel free to share how you keep from gaining weight through the summer festivities.
May God bless you!