These tips will help you sail through the Fourth of July, summer gatherings, and in general.
Moms/Dads of Young Children
1. Do you finish the food on your kids' plates that they leave behind? It's probably adding to your waistline. Instead, try giving your little ones half as much food. If they are still hungry, let them ask for more. Their stomachs are only the size of their fists. This will save your waistline and teach them to eat only when they are hungry.
2. Teach kids to follow this rule at special events: Take what you will eat and eat what you take. No fighting, no hassles. Everyone is happy!
3. Processed foods are quick and easy, but also very addictive with less nutritional value. Begin from when your babies start eating food by making your own baby food. Use a food processor to puree' their fruits, veggies, and meats. As they get older, make more meals from scratch.They will automatically be used to eating healthier food, and so will you!
4. Teach your children to eat at the table instead of on the run.Turn off the television and leave electronic gadgets elsewhere. Spend time talking to the other people who are with you. Everyone will eat less because they are listening more.
5. Eat a salad with a little dressing and drink a glass of water before going to family gatherings. Most of the time, the meal doesn't start right on time, so you won't feel starved by the time you do eat. You will also be more able to choose smaller portions of your favorites like Aunt Millie's special pie.
6. Do a good hard workout the day before a family get-together, eat light (don't fast!), then workout hard the day after and you will be able to stave off what you ate.
7. Don't take food home Mom tries to pass off to you. Or if you are the host(ess) offer to send extra home food with others, make plates for shut-ins, or freeze the rest in serving size portions.
8. Enjoy the Fourth of July on the 4th!! When the holiday is done, it's done.
1. Pick from the lighter fare on the menu or find out if you can order from the senior portions. Drink a full glass of water before the meal comes out. Skip the bread and appetizers.
2. Take a seat AWAY from the buffet. Go up once and get what you want, but don't worry about getting your money's worth. What you "save" by filling up 2 or 3 times you would pay out in medical treatments later.
1. Eat breakfast! It will help keep your metabolism steady through lunch. Eat your larger meal for lunch. It will carry you through the rest of your day. Eat a light dinner like soup or salad at night. Keep a Power Snack with you during your day if you get hungry or can't eat your lunch because the boss calls a meeting.
2.Pack your own lunch if possible. You can make healthier choices that fill you up. Walk after lunch.
Just a few small tricks can trim inches off your waistline and keep your body healthy! Many blessings for your 4th of July festivities!