I think everyone gets a shock when the first wrinkle or gray hair shows up in the mirror. Where in the world did those come from? In the movie, "Willie Wonka", starring Johnny Depp, Willie is getting his hair cut by an Oompa Loompa. When He looks down, he sees a bright white hair in the midst of the dark hair clippings on his cape. He suddenly realizes he is aging and must find an heir to take over his factory. Aging scares us! Hair color, anti-wrinkle creams, and surgery may make us "look" younger, but we know it's not true.The reality is everyone will either get older or die young. My preference is to grow old well. What about you?
Hopefully, you are in the same camp with me, willing to grow older. Would you believe that you don't need to fight it? Instead, we can work with it to have the best outcome possible. Here are some great tips and tricks to tame the appearance of aging while reducing the effects of aging on our bodies:
- Stop smoking and tanning! Not only are they making you look older, they are wrecking your health. These two habits are high risk for developing cancer. Even if it's caught early, the effects of cancer and the treatments will make you look and feel old fast. Do you remember the dying young comment earlier?
- Find a good skin care regimen. It should tone and brighten your skin while reducing the look of fine lines and wrinkles. Nourish, don't burn your skin.You will sleep more soundly if you don't pay a fortune for it!
- Speaking of sleep, get a good night's rest. Bags and dark circles under the eyes aren't gorgeous. Your body has to recover. Eight hours is the magic number!
- Exercise is the fountain of youth. Cardio exercise pumps the blood and nutrients around the body, giving a better look and feel to your body. Strength training will help you keep your strength and muscle mass, while reducing the jiggle and saggy skin. Flexibility work will reduce joint pain and stiffness. the more we feel we can do, the younger we feel.
- Eat healthy, nutritious foods that are lower in calories. Fat may not look pretty to you, but neither do the effects of free radicals that age your appearance. Fats, too many carbs, sugar, and salt cause inflammation in the body. You will look unhealthy because you are when you eat these foods. Healthy glowing skin and sleek hair come from lean proteins, lots of fruits and veggies, and whole grains.
- Don't skip the oils to lose weight. We need them for cellular repair in our bodies.They also help keep the brain functioning well. Make sure they are unsaturated oils like olive, soy, canola, safflower, etc. Do avoid or limit meat fats, fried foods, saturated fats from dairy and coconut. The carbon-hydrogen bonds make a difference for your body's health.
- Drink plenty of water! Hydration keeps away creepiness in the skin, brightens your eyes, and help your body function properly. Limit caffeinated beverages.Stop drinking alcohol and soda. Both are empty calories that sap your youthful appearance.
- Find something to smile about! Lines form on our faces from repetitive expressions over time. Do you want laugh and smile lines or do you want to look like you are mad at the world? Remember, your face will get stuck the way you express your emotional time.
- Get social! People who spend time with friends and family tend to be happier and healthier. Feel good hormones flood the body keeping away the free radicals that chip away at your youth.
You can live long and prosper by doing these things. Aging well is a blessing! Enjoy these years. May God bless you!