Americans are obsessed with their bellies. In fact, the waist-to-hip ratio among men and women has become a greater concern to health professionals. Here are a few things you can do to work toward a flatter belly:
Foods and Beverages
- Drink more water, eat less salt and sugar.
- Avoid foods that cause gas and bloating such as highly processed foods, cured meats, sulfur dioxide, and nitrites.
- Cut down or cut out soda-- diet and regular.
- Ditch the lattes and cappuccinos. Drink coffee with non-fat fresh creamer and Stevia instead.
- Learn to love fresh and frozen veggies -either raw or steamed- naked! (Not you, the veggies!)
- Eat smaller meals spread out through your day.
- Avoid snacks over 200 calories.
- Pitch the junk food and avoid the fast food lane!
- Cut your carbs in half if you are a carb lover.
- Eat more lean protein such as turkey, chicken, and cold-water fish.
- Pack your own lunch.
- Eat dinner at home at your dining table.
Exercise and Posture
- Stand up straight with your shoulders back and your belly pulled up and in. Now BREATHE that way!
- Lift weights.
- Do fewer crunches and more totally body core-focused exercises.
- Do interval training and HIIT training if you are physically able to handle it. Ask your doctor first!
- Take up Pilates.
- Try a class or exercise group you've never done before.
- Take up swimming or water aerobics.
- Take a spinning class-- not yarn or tales, group cycling.
- Read your Bible and pray daily to reduce stress and focus better.
- Get fresh air.
- Spend time with family and friends other than eating.
- Wear clothing that fits correctly rather than tightly or super baggy.
- Measure your waist weekly.
May God bless you!