I've been considering what would interest you for the month of October. A lot of things are going on such as harvest time, Pastor Appreciation, Sweetest Day, and a lot of people beginning or restarting weight loss goals. With these thoughts, those are the sorts of things will be addressed this month! Also, I will gear devotions that direction and add a few other topics as well.
Here are some things to consider this month:
- If you are a pastor, pastor's spouse or someone in full-time ministry, consider taking care of yourself so you will be there to help others! Eating healthy, getting exercise and de-stressing are more important now than ever before. Just like tithing your finances and giving your time to the Lord is good stewardship, so is stewardship of yourself. Consider First Place 4 Health groups and PraiseMoves classes. More info about those to come!
- If you are either starting or re-starting weight loss, those of you who are engaged or married, team up together! The Buddy System has been shown to be a more successful way to reach your goals and maintain them. Even if you don't like the same foods or want to do the same types of exercise or physical activities, you can have some friendly competition complete with non-food prizes for the person who wins the challenges you set together. Do make them fun and possible to be accomplished by both of you!
- If you are struggling with your Won't Power overtaking your Will Power, ask yourself, "Why? " Are you stressed? Sad? Mad? Feeling worthless? Struggling with loss? Partner with a counselor/pastor and a health coach to help you build up that Will Power and squelch the Won't Power! You can have victory, but you may need help doing it.
- Take advantage of the harvest season and all the wonderful produce out right now. Grasp the nice, cooler days and evenings for some outside activities like walking, riding bike, Flag football, leaf raking wars and other neat things popular this time of year.
- Nix the sweet treats! Have tasty treats and snacks that are healthy for tailgating and fall get-togethers. See who can make the best tasting, healthy chili with your Bible study group/Sunday School class! If you have a harvest party at your church for the kids, take healthy, tasty prizes or even things kids can use at school!
- Since the sun goes down earlier, get enough ZZZZs. Summer messes up our sleep to some degree. Go to bed a bit earlier and get up on time. Your body will thank you and your mind will be sharp!
- Give your Sweetie something nice or fun for Sweetest Day. No one ever gets fat from a bouquet of fresh flowers, a gift certificate for a massage or a heart rate monitor for exercise. Give the gift of your time together doing something the other person would love to do! Sacrifice can be so sweet!
- Treat your pastor and his/her family to a trip to the local Christian bookstore or a nice restaurant for a date. If possible, get together with others in your church to send the ministry couple away for the weekend and babysit the kids!
Perhaps this isn't what you were expecting for a blog post, but I hope you find something valuable today or that will bless someone else. I pray that your October will be a fantastic one!
God bless you!